Friday 3 October 2008

Northerlies and Brass Monkeys, 3rd October 2008

Plenty of brass monkeys around this morning looking for welding torches, but very few birds. I knew it was going to be northerly and hoped for some arriving wildfowl etc, but I didn't realise how strong!

The visibility was great with cracking views across to the lakes with even some snow on top of one of the mountains! But I had f*ck all birds! I counted 229 Oystercatcher on the shore and had a Red-throated Diver and a Cormorant fly past and that was it. I was even gripped off by one of the Rossall regulars, Chris, when he told me he had had a Wheatear and Meadow Pipit!

I gave it 45 minutes and decided to have a look on the pools at Fleetwood Marsh Nature Park. There was a handful of birds including 34 Coot, 7 Pochard, 4 Ruddy Ducks, 12 Tufted Ducks and 2 Little Grebes. The best bird was a Jay that flew over the road as I was driving away.

As I have taken a couple of weeks off work to go birding lets hope that it improves as I am now at the end of my first week off!

No comments: