Monday 17 August 2009

Glad I Didn't Take My Own Advice

I'm glad I didn't take my own advice this morning. Although it would have worked in terms of rain as there wasn't any early doors, but the wind was northwesterly and absolutely no good for seawatching on the Fylde.

So, the only birds I had today were those on my office feeders. My office overlooks some woodland and I have three feeders on my window. I have a seed hopper, peanut feeder and a make-shift tray for seed. At the moment the feeders are extremely busy with all the young birds of the summer. In fact so busy that all three feeders empty every day!

The cast at the moment includes Coal Tits, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Nuthatch and Great Spotted Woodpecker. They are very distracting as you can imagine when you are trying to write a report or colour-in some stewardship maps and two Nuthatches are feeding two feet away from where you sit!

This morning at one point all the birds shot off the feeders and dived into cover. Raptor I thought, and low and behold a juv. male Sparrowhawk shot out of the woodland and sped down the side of the building. Stonking!

Some of the cast from my office window below.




The forecast looks okay for a bit of birding tomorrow morning, so I'll have a mooch round somewhere and see what I can pick up.

No comments: