Friday 11 September 2009

Valley of the Buteos

Yesterday I was working in the Lune Valley and surveying part of the Newton Hall Estate for a potential Higher Level Stewardship agreement. I didn't get on site until 9.00 a.m., but as soon as I got out of the car to look at Newton Pool Meadow Pipits were calling high overhead and heading west in 2's and 3's.
Newton Pool

Moving with them in smaller numbers were Swallows and a handful of Skylarks and Siskins. On the pool were 57 Teal and no Garganey or Blue-winged Teal. If you have read this month's Birdwatch you'll know that Keith Vinicombe has instructed us to check all Teal at this time of year for Blue-winged's!

It was a very clear morning this morning and the views across to the Dales were terrific.



Surveying various bits of woodland I looked down on the Roe Deer below and couldn't help but try and get a digi-binned shot.


Buzzards were the main feature of the morning and I had a total of 14 moving/thermalling overhead. Not all in the air at once but a mixture of singles and groups of 3 or 4. I never get tired of seeing these stonking raptors.

No comments: