Tuesday 8 November 2011

Not Too Bad.........

........for a dark, dank, drizzly, dreary morning! Before I locked my self away in my office for the day I nipped up to the 'Point' after breakfast to have a look on the incoming tide. The visibility was pretty poor, but I did have a few birds of interest to set me up for a day in doors.

A few waders roosted along the shore and I had 152 Oystercatchers, 52 Turnstones, Ringed Plover, 17 Sanderling and a single Knot.

 Ringed :Pover

Even though it was murky there were some birds on the sea that showed quite well. By far the most numerous species were the 82 Eiders that bobbed up and down on the tide. The only other wildfowl I had were 2 Red-breasted Mergansers and 8 Common Scoters.

Divers and Grebes were represented by 2 Red-throated Divers and 5 Great Crested Grebes. One of the Divers was very close in and gave great views as it proceeded to preen for several minutes. Likewise, one of the 'Great Crests' showed well and I watched it catching small fish.

I had 3 Razorbills and a single Guillemot, and the only 'vis' was 2 Alba Wagtails west. I have another 'office' day tomorrow, so I might just start it off again at the Point.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

was it Rossal point ? ,all i managed today was about 800 starlings on the electric pylons at moorpark school better look tomorrow enjoy your sea watching.

The Hairy Birder said...

It was indeed.