Friday 2 December 2011

I'm Still Here......

......and I haven't a great deal to report other than what has been at my farmland bird feeding station over the past week. I've been busy at work and this has prevented me from getting out as much, but hopefully this has now all been sorted.

Earlier in the week there were still 170 Tree Sparrows at the feeding station, but there were only 72 today. The Tree Sparrow count can change depending on the timing of your visit. Interestingly, as I was feeding late morning birds were flying in so they may well have built up to 170 or more.

I had a little time to spare so I had a walk along the 97 Hedge, round the wild bird seed plot and back to my car. There were quite a few Chaffinch around this morning mainly in the Birch trees by the Badger sett and I had 50 in total. Corn Buntings numbered 7 and a female Sparrowhawk drifted south over the 'big field' and lifted 34 Skylarks.

 Corn Bunting

A couple of Grey Partridge flew out of the grass margin and 3,066 Pink-footed Geese dropped onto the top fields. Eight Reed Buntings were feeding in the cover by the ditch and a Great Spotted Woodpecker called from Curlew Wood. Walking back down the 97 hedge and to my car I added singles of Snipe, Stock Dove, Song Thrush and a male Yellowhammer perched on a telegraph pole.

On the way home I had a look on the river and had a pair of Goldeneye and 18 Curlews feeding in a riverside field.It looks as though it is going to remain windy for the rest of the week and westerly. Not much chance of any ringing, but hopefully some opportunities for some birding. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: