It's that time of the month again when I update the ringing totals over on the right for Fylde RG. The only new species ringed in October for the year were four Fieldfares. As usual I have listed below the top ten movers and shakers in terms of numbers ringed.
1. Greenfinch - 348 (straight in)
2. Chaffinch - 318 (up from 3rd)
3. Swallow - 317 (down from 1st)
4. Tree Sparrow - 259 (down from 2nd)
5. Goldfinch - 238 (same position)
6. Blue Tit - 234 (down from 4th)
7. Lesser Redpoll - 144 (same position)
8. Great Tit - 136 (down from 6th)
9. Meadow Pipit - 112 (up from 10th)
10. Blackbird - 105 (straight in)
Knocked out of the top ten are Reed Warbler and Willow Warbler, both with 92 ringed. Just bubbling under are Wren (71), Robin (79), Dunnock (62), Goldcrest (63) and Long-tailed Tit (60).
To give you a flavour of the main species ringed amongst the 664 birds we ringed in October I have listed the top five ringed for October below.
1. Greenfinch - 284
2. Chaffinch - 72
3. Goldfinch - 38
4. Redwing - 36
5. Blackbird - 34
Long-tailed Tit - 34
How it will pan out for the rest of the year I'm not sure. As usual the weather will play its part, but November can still be a good month for the continued arrival of migrant finches and thrushes. We shall see.
Crazy Day! - My mother has had bad toothache since the weekend and last night I had to organise an emergency appointment for her. Very luckily there was one for today! ...
20 minutes ago