Saturday 5 April 2014

North and South

As I set off on my walk around the Obs this morning I had full cloud cover with a stiff southerly wind. Rain was forecast for some time during the morning, but it didn't arrive during my two hour walk.

Grounded migrants were a bit thin on the ground and a Chiffchaff singing from the hedge & ditch and a Wheatear on the sea wall was all I could muster.

 Wheatear

The vis was a bit mixed this morning in that there was some, although it wasn't particularly heavy and some birds as well as moving in the expected northerly direction were moving south into the wind, including Meadow Pipits out at sea. My vis totals included 180 Pink-footed Geese, 34 Meadow Pipits, a Siskin, six Linnets, an Alba Wagtail, two Goldfinches and a Lesser Redpoll.

I didn't spend too much time on the sea and just had four Cormorants, 14 Eiders, five Common Scoters, two Red-throated Divers and three Red-breasted Mergansers.

I had a look on the flood and there were six Snipes and as I walked through the dunes I flushed a cracking adult male Sparrowhawk.

The forecast is similar for tomorrow with strong southerlies and rain moving through in the morning.

No comments: