Wednesday 25 May 2016

Box Update

At weekend Gail and I carried out the second check of my Pied Flycatcher boxes and there were a few birds to ring. We ringed 40 Great Tits, seven Nuthatches and nine Blue Tits. All were pulli of course, and I lifted another two female Pied Flycatchers off the nest. One of the females was ringed by North Lancs Ringing Group as a pulli in one of their boxes in Bowland in 2014 and we have recorded her as a breeding female in our boxes last year and this. The other female was a breeding female in Otley, West Yorkshire in 2014 but she's been with us in 2015 and this year.

 Pied Flycatcher

Nuthatches in residence; note the mud around the entrance hole!

I was in north Cumbria again on Monday carrying out a bird survey but it was fairly quiet other than four Tree Sparrows, two Stock Doves, two Song Thrushes, a Chiffchaff, a Blackcap, three Mistle Thrushes and a Buzzard.

Work is getting in the way of birding at the moment and I have pond surveys and a bird survey in Cheshire to look forward to before I get out birding again!

No comments: