Sunday 28 June 2009

Harriers...26th June

Today I had the opportunity to assist with the ringing and wing-tagging of a brood of three Hen Harrier chicks and I must thank Dave and Richard for the opportunity. Mind you the nest was extremely inaccessible and as such as I am not the most athletic person in the world the walk to and from the nest almost killed me! Mind you it was worth it!

On the way to the nest we had a juvenile Ring Ouzel that was fresh out of the nest and this was my first Ring Ouzel of the year. The Hen Harrier nest contained two males and a female. We ringed all three chicks, but only wing-tagged two as the third bird was going to be fitted with a radio/satellite transmitter.



On the way back to our cars we came across two Curlew chicks which we ringed. A nice end to a cracking morning.




No comments: