Tuesday 8 December 2009

Light At The End Of The Tunnel?

There is a chance, or should that be 'was' as I have probably given any chance the kiss of death by saying there is a chance (I hope you're still following this!), that I might actually do some ringing towards the end of the week perhaps on Friday or Saturday. At the moment the met office are fairly confident (that definitely has put the kiss of death on it) that high pressure will build on Thursday and last until Sunday. We'll see.

It would be good to have a crack at the feeding station as there was a good number of birds there today when I went to feed as always. There were 256 hungry Tree Sparrows along with at least 15 Chaffinch, a couple of Reed Buntings and nine Blackbirds when I put two buckets of seed out on Rawcliffe Moss.

I didn't have much else other than Yellowhammer, Kestrel, Grey Wagtail, two Roe Deer and 200 Black-headed Gulls. Mind you I wasn't there that long, it was literally a splash and dash from work. Talking of work my office feeders are extremely busy at the moment and there is a continuous stream of Nuthatch, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit and Chaffinch from dawn to dusk!

I haven't shown a picture from Nigel in Canada of late so have a look at the Blue Jay below for a splash of colour. Thanks Nigel!


Whilst we're in Canada and looking at blue coloured birds how about a few more such as Blue-headed Vireo


or Blue-winged Warbler,


or Eastern Bluebird


or perhaps even Indigo Bunting.


Mind you I think we have one or two good 'blue birds' ourselves don't you?

House Martin (courtesy of Kane)

Kingfisher

No comments: