Thursday 22 July 2010

The Mighty Conder

I was working in the Cockerham area this morning so I decided to have a look on the Conder estuary and pool before meeting my client later in the morning. The Conder estuary is a cracking birding spot as the estuary is so compact and easily viewable, and you can obtain good views of waders.


Black-headed Gull

I knew that the tide would be running in and covering some of the creeks, but I had a look nevertheless. The water level was high on the pool and there were few feeding areas for waders. Most of the waders were roosting on the islands as the incoming tide had covered the feeding areas up on the creeks. Four species were present in the form of 4 Oystercatchers, 14 Redshanks, Spotted Redshank and 49 Lapwings. The only other bird of note on the pool was a juvenile Great Crested Grebe.



 Lapwings

On the estuary it was fairly quiet because of the incoming tide apart from 5 Common Sandpipers and 54 Redshanks. Looking towards the Lune there were 57 Mute Swans and 200 Lapwings on the saltmarsh.


Common Sandpiper

The good news for tomorrow is that it is going to be fit for some ringing so I'm off to set my alarm for 4.00 a.m.!

No comments: