Monday 13 September 2010

Weekend Washout

What a weekend! As I had Friday off work I was hoping to have three consecutive days of birding, but it wasn't to be. It was wet Friday, but as you know I managed to get out, and it was wet on Saturday and Sunday, but with a moderate northwesterly wind and along with the rain I decided not to bother.

The forecast over the next few days isn't much better. I have just looked at the five day forecast, something I keep on vowing not to do as it either; (a) depresses me or (b) disapooints me when the weather doesn't live up to the forecast. Tuesday (tomorrow) and Wednesday looks like it could be good for seabirds off the Fylde coast, then on Thursday it is swinging round to the northwest. This will favour the Merseyside birders, but not us. However, dare I say it, Saturday at the moment is looking like I might get out rinigng. But mind you it will probably change now.

I will try and get out before work in the week, but if I don't get out I'll have to stick my nose in the two new books that arrived today. I purchased the new 'Bird Observatories of Britain and Ireland' (can't wait to start that one) and James McCallum's 'Wild Skeins and Winter Skies - Paintings and Observations of Pink-footed Geese'.

2 comments:

Ghost of Stringer said...

I've got a nice copy of the "old" bird observatories poyser a great book. I'd like to get the new one too when I can afford it.

The Hairy Birder said...

I've got the old one too G and you're right it is a great book. I'm hoping the new one will be just as good. I'm still wading through Ian Newton's 'Bird Migration' at the moment, but will switch to the Bird Obs book as soon as I have finished that one.