Wednesday 6 October 2010

Trying!

Trying signifies how hard I am working to try and see some good birds at the moment and it also aptly describes how my birding has been over these last couple of days. Rossall Point was my first port of call this morning and I was greeted with 4 oktas cloud cover and a 10-15 mph SSW wind.

 The incoming tide at Rossall Point

As the tide ran in 3 Red-breasted Mergansers drifted past and that was more or less it on the sea other than 3 Eiders and 33 Common Scoters. There were a few waders on the beach and it was nice to see Grey Plover plus 305 Oystercatchers, 31 Sanderling, 15 Turnstone and 33 Ringed Plovers.

Ringed Plover

Vis was slow and during the hour I was at Rossall I only had 9 Meadow Pipits, 2 Linnets, 2 Alba Wags and a single Rock Pipit heading west. I then headed to Mount Park but aborted as there were a couple of guys mowing and strimmimg. I couldn't hear myself think never mind hear a Yellow-browed calling! I warned Ian of the 'bedlam' and re-located to the cemetery.

Ian was already working his way round so I headed off in the opposite direction. There were plenty of 'ticking' Robins but not a lot else grounded. In addition all Ian had was a couple of Blackcaps. A male Sparrowhawk shot through 'working' the site and later a female drifted south on vis. Talking of vis I had a handful of Chaffinch, Meadow Pipit, 2 Grey Wagtails, 4 Goldfinch and a single Swallow fly south. And that was it!

As you probably already know Fleetwood Cemetery is literally across the road from the coast. Below are some pictures of the habitat and just imagine what it would be like if it was in the same position but on nthe east coast, say in Northumberland!





The forecast is looking quite good over the next few days. It is turning southeasterly tomorrow and swinging easterly on Friday. Surely my luck will change then?

No comments: