Sunday 31 October 2010

The Usual

The Tree Sparrows needed feeding on Rawcliffe Moss this morning so I headed up there and did 'my usual'. I dropped the seed off on the track and then walked the '97' hedge and up to the plantation and back. There were a fair number of 'Pinkies' around this morning and my notebook records 1,304. In fact there were a lot more than that as large numbers could be seen in the distance towards Pilling Moss.

 Pinkies

I had a a covey of 5 Grey Partridge hurtling across a ploughed field near to the barn and this was quickly followed by a Peregrine heading north. At the feeding station Tree Sparrow numbers seem fairly stable and I had 51 birds feeding with Tits, Chaffinch and Reed Buntings.

As I was about to head up the '97' hedge a party of 6 Long-tailed Tits moved through calling noisily to each other as they do. It was fairly quiet as I walked along the 97 hedge and I didn't see much until I got to the 'top' fields where I had a few Reed Buntings. In total I had 6 Reed Buntings in this area.

 Long-tailed Tit

Phil and Will were ringing at the plantation and you can see how they got on by clicking here Chaffinches were constantly on the move south with a few Bramblings mixed in. I had 52 Skylarks during my walk and these were mainly on the top fields. At one point 30-40 were spooked by something; my Peregrine from earlier perhaps.

A few thrushes were about including 8 Redwings and 67 Fieldfares and I had singles of Lesser Redpoll and Corn Bunting. The only other finch species I had was a group of 11 Siskin heading north towards the plantation. My walk back to the car was fairly quiet. It's off to the 'obs' tomorrow to do some ringing and as ever I'll let you know how I get on.

No comments: