Friday 14 December 2012

Wot No Sanderling or Turnstones

I apologise if you were expecting to hear about some wader ringing this week, but for various reasons both planned ringing sessions were called off. First up were the Turnstones on Wednesday. When Ian, Peter and I arrived at the ringing site at 7.30 a.m. we were greeted with a hoar frost that was a centimetre deep and this included a covering on the beach! There was absolutely no way that we would catch and ring Turnstones in these conditions.

The plan was to cannon net roosting Sanderlings on Friday but the forecast for Friday was awful; wet and windy, and as I type this it is Friday and it is wet and windy! We brought the cannon netting session forward to Thursday, but when Ian reccied the site on Wednesday there were only 30 Sanderlings roosting due to disturbance on the beach by contractors operating tracked vehicles.

So what do I have to report? Not a lot really and no photographs either. I have of course been to my feeding station several times during the week and had Reed Bunting, Jay, Brambling, 1,000 Woodpigeons, 125 Tree Sparrows, three Redwings, ten Fieldfares and 32 Chaffinches.

Hopefully I'll have some bird news over weekend.

No comments: