The ringing totals for Fylde Ringing Group for September were pretty poor with just 85 birds of 16 species ringed all month. The problem has been the wind; strong westerlies early on and then strong easterlies later on. For what it's worth I have updated the totals over on the right.
We only ringed three species in double figures so all I have done below is a top three ringed for the month!
1. Robin - 11
2. Blue Tit - 10
3. Greenfinch - 10
I have as usual produced a top ten 'movers and shakers' but there has been little change as you will see beneath.
1. Swallow - 761 (same position)
2. Goldfinch - 134 (same position)
3. Willow Warbler - 132 (same position)
4. Chaffinch - 127 (same position)
5. Reed Warbler - 108 (same position)
6. Great Tit - 105 (up from 7th)
7. Sedge Warbler - 100 (down from 6th)
Blue Tit - 100 (up from 8th)
9. Whitethroat - 88 (same position)
10. Lesser Redpoll - 79 (same position)
Normally at this time of the year I would expect to see Meadow Pipit well into the top ten. They've been moving but unfortunately it hasn't been calm enough for mist nets that often.
October hasn't started too well either, but more of that at the end of the month.
Saturday 21st July 2018 - A month gone since the longest day and the nights are starting to draw in but with an overnight low of 17.9 Celsius it is a tad warm and still no rain. Sin...
1 hour ago