Wednesday 8 October 2014

First Feed

I set my winter feeding station up this afternoon after a site visit in the Wenning Valley in the morning where I was measuring hedgerows to be restored this winter. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary as I wandered along the hedges with my measuring wheel but it was obvious there was some vis going on as there was Meadow Pipits, Linnets, Goldfinches and Swallows on the move. The only obvious grounded migrant I had was a Chiffchaff, and thirteen House Sparrows and a Stock Dove using the old barn was good to see.

I set my feeding station up by putting the first bucket of seed down and the two peanut supplementary feeders to hold Tree Sparrows in case the seed runs out before the next seed drop. I also did a bit of management work by trimming some of the hedges that I run my nets along.

 The first seed drop

Supplementary peanut feeder

I had a quick ten minute walk to see what was about in the immediate area and had 15 Skylarks over, 51 Meadow Pipits put up by a male Sparrowhawk, two male Yellowhammers, a Buzzard and a Corn Bunting. I'll have a proper look round next time I'm there.

2 comments:

Warren Baker said...

I tried putting out a line of seed like that on my patch, but it got scoffed by phesants and corvids!!

The Hairy Birder said...

I know what you mean Warren. Besides feeding Tree Sparrows I know I am also feeding Pheasants, Corvids and Woodpigeons and it is annoying!