Saturday 26 September 2015

Finches of Green and Pipits of Meadow

This morning I was manning the nets at the Obs on my 'Jack Jones' as Kim is holidaying in northwest Scotland and Ian was monitoring vis and sea passage at the Point. The morning dawned with clear skies and a light southeasterly wind. At first it seemed quiet and then the vis picked up, which lead to me being busy with the nets.

I ringed 37 birds as follows (recaptures in brackets):

Meadow Pipit - 14
Chaffinch - 1
Reed Bunting - 2
Greenfinch - 18
Robin - 1 (2)
Wren - 1

 Meadow Pipit

Raptors were thin on the ground this morning and I just had two Kestrels hunting over the recently cut meadow. All morning I kept on hearing Pink-footed Geese, but only managed to pick up two groups heading south totalling 90 birds. There was obviously a lot more than this but they must have been out of sight to the east or west.

 Pink-footed Geese

Grounded migrants weren't obvious this morning other than four Robins, a Song Thrush, a Stonechat and two Reed Buntings. However, the vis was better and even though I missed a lot of birds due to operating mist nets I recorded 132 Meadow Pipits, a House Martin, three Goldfinches, 16 Woodpigeons, two Chaffinches, 47 Greenfinches, two Alba Wags, two Linnets, 16 Skylarks, two Grey Wagtails, two Reed Buntings, a Siskin and four Swallows.

The only other observation of note was a feeding flock of about 75 Goldfinches. The forecast is similar for tomorrow so I will be out ringing again and it still looks good next week with those forecast easterlies!

No comments: