Tuesday 3 January 2012

Hardly Worth Posting

With the spare hour or so I had this morning I should have been sea watching with the strength and direction of the wind, but I had to go and feed my Tree Sparrows, so instead I was 'mosswards' bound.

The wind was howling as I parked on the track and as I headed towards the feeding station all the birds were sticking close to the hedge and I couldn't blame them. Only two Yellowhammers, 75 Tree Sparrows and seven Chaffinch were there.
.
As usual I headed north along the '97' hedge and took shelter behind the mature willow as a squally shower raced across the moss. The bridge over the ditch here, was now just a bridge into a pond after all the rain! (see below)


As the sun started to peer out from behind the clouds a rainbow formed and I took a couple of pictures of it below.

 Both ends of the rainbow (above and below)


The Reed Buntings were hard to count as they were sticking to the ditch and I had ten, which is a lot less than recent days. As I got to the wildbird seed crop I had 86 Chaffinch and 32 Goldfinch. As I walked along it 38 Skylarks and 14 Corn Buntings got up.

I could see that more 'weather' was comning in and headed back towards my car via the feeding station to pick my buckets up and a Great Spotted Woodpecker was on one of the peanut feeders.

There's going to be strong westerly winds again tomorrow so I might get a couple of hours seawatching in before having to work. I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Peter Fearon said...

67mph winds recorded at Crosby today and of the last 33 days, 30 have yielded rain. When will it end???

The Hairy Birder said...

I know Peter it's awful and that's an under statement. I think we must be getting on for 8 weeks of virtually no rinigng, or just bits and pieces at best!