Thursday 5 January 2012

A Sunny Afternoon

I chose this afternoon to feed at my feeding station on Rawcliffe Moss and it was a bright afternoon with wall to wall sunshine, but still cold with a biting strong northwesterly wind. A Kestrel hovered besides the lane as I drove down to the track and as I got out of the car two Buzzards were calling to each other as they made use of the updraughts alongside the woodland.

 Kestrel

At the feeding station were 17 Chaffinch, 3 Yellowhammers and 171 Tree Sparrows. As I headed along the '97' hedge I picked up a female Peregrine with prey heading across the stubble and it dropped onto the 'deck' over a rise to feed, and unfortunately that's when I lost sight of it.

Reed Buntings were thin on the ground this afternoon with only 7 counted, but Skylarks showed a fairly respectable total of 33. In the wild bird seed plot were a further 50 Chaffinch and 21 Goldfinch. A couple of Snipe and a Linnet later, and it was time for me to head off home to do some work.

No comments: