Over on the right you will see that I have updated the ringing totals for Fylde Ringing Group until the end of June. We have ringed 1,619 birds of 58 species. This time last year we had ringed 1,789 birds so we are just 170 down on last year, which isn't bad considering how wet it has been of late. A good percentage of the birds ringed in June have been ringed by Ian (early morning & evening reedbed sessions) and Paul (Tree Sparrow pulli).
Five new species were added to the total for the year and these were Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Oystercatcher, Barn Owl and Swallow. I have listed below the top ten 'movers and shakers':
1. Tree Sparrow - 236 (same position)
2. Blue Tit - 196 (same position)
3. Goldfinch - 148 (same position)
4. Chaffinch - 112 (same position)
5. Lesser Redpoll - 111 (same position)
6. Great Tit - 110 (same position)
7. Meadow Pipit - 68 (same position)
8. Blackbird - 49 (same position)
9. Dunnock - 41 (up from 10th)
10. Turnstone - 40 (down from 9th)
So it's all been very static in terms of the 'top 10' except for Dunnock and Turnstone changing positions at the bottom of the table. Which species will appear in the top ten next month? Based on those that are just 'bubbling under' we could see Robin, Sedge Warbler and Greenfinch make an appearance!
MARSH FRITILLARIES at BRENEY COMMON. - *WE HAD A FANTASTIC DAY OUT AT BRENEY COMMON YESTERDAY. * *THE WEATHER WAS GREAT AND DOZENS OF MARSH FRITILLARIES WERE FLYING. * *MARSH FRITILLARY* *MARSH ...
1 hour ago