Saturday 21 July 2012

Mist Nets and Moths

It was another early start in the reedbed for me again this morning and at last it has stopped raining! It was virtually clear at first light with a barely noticeable easterly breeze. I was on my own this morning so I only put up 220 feet of netting in the willow scrub and wet reedbed.

I was hoping for a decent catch, but it wasn't to be, and a number of theories as to why I didn't catch well crossed my brain, with the most plausible being that the previous night was the first clear night for a while and this had probably cleared the birds out. Ringers/Birders always have to have a theory as to why they didn't catch or why it was quiet don't they?

I processed 8 new birds as follows (recaptures in brackets):

Lesser Whitethroat - 1
Reed Warbler - 1 (1)
Reed Bunting - 1
Whitethroat - 1
Blackcap - 1
Robin - 1
Wren - 2

 Lesser Whitethroat

Just after I had put the nets up the Starlings came out of the roost and I estimated that there were 2-3,000 birds in one large flock. A Grey Wagtail on 'vis' heading south was to be the only bird that I could definitely say was moving. And that was about it!

Back home I emptied my moth trap and I had Large Yellow-underwing, Gothic, 2 Dotted Clay, 3 Garden Darts, Buff Ermine and Common Rustic.

Buff Ermine

It's going to be a late night tonight for me watching my mates prog band, but as long as I don't have too much 'pop' I should get out round the obs at some point in the morning; weather permitting of course!

No comments: