Saturday 31 August 2013

An Improvement

I was back at the Point this morning and the visibility wasn't as good as yesterday but there were more birds around! I had nearly full cloud cover with a 20 mph NW wind. Ian told me that over night it had been southwesterly so we were hopeful for a few birds because a northwesterly is useless along our stretch of coast.

Movement at sea included eleven Gannets, 44 Sandwich Terns, two Common Scoters, four Common Terns, three Kittiwakes, two Shelducks, a Little Tern and a Fulmar. Not brilliant, but a lot better than yesterday.

There was also some waders on the shore and I counted five Curlews, nine Oystercatchers, 64 Turnstones, eight Dunlins, 82 Ringed Plovers and 63 Sanderlings.

 Curlew

It's going to be northwesterly overnight and then at 0700 tomorrow it is going to move westerly. Whether this will be in time or not I'm not sure but I'll still get up and take a peek!

Ringed Plover

No comments: