Wednesday 21 August 2013

Contrasting Uplands and a Few Swallows For Good Measure

On Monday evening Huw, Ian and Me had another ringing session at the Swallow roost. We estimated that between 3 and 4 thousand were coming in to roost and we ringed 72 birds plus two controls. The pre-roost Swallow bothering raptors included a magnificent Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and Peregrine.

Yesterday I had appointments to see two clients in contrasting upland landscapes. My first visit was to Bowland and my second to the West Pennines. I was early for my first visit so I had a walk for about three quarters of an hour up the Langden valley. It was very quiet bird-wise and all I had were common woodland species calling from pockets of woodland such as Goldcrest, Coal Tit, Wren, Chaffinch, Robin and Siskin.

 There was plenty of Heather flowering in the Langden Valley.

Langden.

My second visit was to the West Pennine Moors and this area is completely different to Bowland steeped in industrial history and still very much a working upland landscape with the proliferation of wind turbines. It was quiet on the moor tops and all I had were Meadow Pipits and Skylarks for company.

 I'm not good on mushrooms and I found the above mushrooms in a heavily
grazed pasture. I suspect they are Dung Roundhead Stropharia semiglobata

 Hyndburn Wind Farm in the West Pennines.

The forecast is looking reasonable for some ringing at the obs tomorrow, although there is a chance that there could be some rain about. I'll just have to keep my eye on the forecasts and make a decision later.

2 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Its so Green there !

The Hairy Birder said...

I think it's probably been a good deal wetter up here Warren, hence the green. Also both those two upland areas have higher rainfall than the rest of Lancashire.