Saturday 8 November 2014

October's Ringing Totals

As usual at this time of the month I have updated the ringing totals of our (Fylde) ringing group over on the right, and by the end of October we had ringed 2,707 birds meaning that we are just 201 short of where we were last year. We added no new species in October and I have listed below the top five for the month and the top ten 'movers and shakers' for the year.

Top Five Ringed - October

1. Goldfinch - 67
2. Blue Tit - 43
3. Reed Bunting - 32
4. Greenfinch - 28
5. Chaffinch - 20

Top Ten Movers and Shakers for the Year

1. Swallow - 712 (same position)
2. Blue Tit - 234 (same position)
3. Great Tit - 174 (up from 4th)
4. Reed Warbler - 164 (down from 3rd)
5. Goldfinch - 157 (up from 6th)
6. Meadow Pipit - 118 (down from 5th)
7. Robin - 94 (up from 8th)
8. Greenfinch - 90 (straight in)
9. Sedge Warbler - 86 (down from 7th)
10. Chaffinch - 77 (straight in)

I called at my feeding station this morning for a quick feed during the rain and as it was pouring down I didn't have a walk round but I can report that Tree Sparrow numbers have now built up to 110 and I had a male Peregrine go over.

The forecast is quite good for tomorrow, but the winds aren't quite light enough to get out ringing so I'll have a wander somewhere round the Obs and see what I can see.

No comments: