Friday 19 March 2021

First Moth Of The Year

It was my second trapping session of the year with my garden light trap, and I caught my first moth of the year this morning in the form of the humble, although in my opinion beautiful, Hebrew Character
 
Hebrew Character
 
I should have been checking a site for Meadow Pipits this morning, but my car was in for a service and MOT yesterday, and their emissions testing machine broke down, so they asked if they could keep my car until today. Why I am I telling you this? Because I was grounded, 'sods law' came into play, as it often does in these circumstances, and when I was in my garden checking my light trap Meadow Pipits were going over constantly in two to threes. Add in a few Siskins, Chaffinches, Linnets and Greenfinches, and a good bit of visible migration was going on. Even by late morning when Gail and I were out for a walk, the odd Mipit was still winging its way north. 

I would like to have run my light trap again tonight, but I have a 5:00 am alarm call for a ringing session, followed by a four hour shift as a volunteer Covid Marshall at a Covid vaccination centre. 

Fingers crossed for a few birds in the morning, but I have a feeling that it will be time to pack the feeding station up. We'll see.

No comments: