As is usual at this time of the month I have updated the ringing totals for Fylde Ringing Group for the year so far over on the right. At 973 birds ringed we are still 1001 down on last year, even though we had a good month in July and managed to ring a respectable 429 birds; if only we could do that every month!
Only one new species was added this month and that was a Sand Martin ringed at the Swallow roost. Below are the top five for the month and the top ten 'movers and shakers' of the year so far.
1. Swallow - 165
2. Reed Warbler - 64
3. Sedge Warbler - 34
Whitethroat - 34
5. Blackcap - 22
Top Ten 'Movers and Shakers'
1. Swallow - 166 (straight in)
2. Reed Warbler - 90 (up from 6th)
3. Blue Tit - 76 (down from 1st)
4. Great Tit - 66 (down from 2nd)
5. Sedge Warbler - 53 (up from 10th)
6. Whitethroat - 50 (straight in)
7. Goldfinch - 36 (down from 4th)
8. Blackcap - 33 (straight in)
Chiffchaff - 33 (down from 4th)
10. Wren - 30 (straight in)
Hen Harrier on the Otter - Some great photos from local wildlife enthusiast, David White. David has kindly let me use his photos that he took yesterday just below White Bridge. I am ...
2 hours ago