Tuesday 9 September 2014

First Pinkies

Under full cloud cover with a stronger than forecast southeasterly I had a ringing session at the Obs this morning. As my blog title suggests I had my first Pink-footed Geese of the autumn when 110 arrived from the north, attempted unsuccessfully to land on the farm fields and headed off northeast.

 The first Pinkies heading northeast.

This would be the highlight of a relatively short and quiet morning. A quick call to Ian who was further up the peninsula and looking on the sea confirmed my suspicions; blocking murk in the bay! On 'vis' I just had three Alba Wags, nine Meadow Pipits, a Chaffinch, 24 Goldfinches and four Grey Wagtails.

Grounded migrants were represented by six Robins and the only raptor I had was an immature male Sparrowhawk. I ringed eight birds as follows:

Robin - 4
Meadow Pipit - 2
Goldfinch - 1
Greenfinch - 1

 Robin

 Greenfinch

There will be a few days of radio silence from me as I head north to celebrate my first half century (I can't believe I'm that old!) at one of my favourite pubs with attached brewery, brewing some of my favourite beer!

No comments: