Monday 15 September 2014

Not A Mega Mipit Morning

Another morning at the Obs and this time without mist nets. I had full cloud cover with a 5 - 10 mph northeasterly wind. The vis was completely different to Saturday morning both in terms of numbers and direction of movement.

There were far less birds on the move and the direction of movement varied. On Saturday everything was moving south but this morning some birds were moving north in to the wind and others were coming in off the sea and heading east! My vis totals (without directions of movement) were 51 Meadow Pipits, one Reed Bunting, seven Grey Wagtails, 17 Alba Wagtails, one Goldfinch, one Greenfinch, one Skylark, one Snipe, and 13 Golden Plovers.

Grounded migrants were thin on the ground with just 14 Robins, five Wheatears and a Willow Warbler. I had a brief look on the sea and just recorded six Black-tailed Godwits north, six Sandwich Terns south and two Cormorants.

 Wheatear

I've got some Barn Owls to check this evening, and hopefully to ring, and I'll let you know how I get on later.

No comments: