Sunday 14 February 2016

Feeding Stations

Over the past few days everything I have done has been feeding station/ringing site related starting last Thursday when I joined Andy and Phil at their feeding station with Jean. It was a glorious morning and there was actually some sunshine and a frost!

Andy and Phil's feeding station is actually an all year ringing site, but in the winter the ringing is based around a feeding station with Lesser Redpoll and Siskins as the target. Thursday morning didn't disappoint on the Siskin front as we ringed seven of these cracking little finches; probably the nicest UK finch alongside Redpoll in my opinion!

 Siskin


Curlews and Oystercatchers were taking advantage of the clear sunny weather and groups of each were noisily flying around and calling, not quite displaying, but not quite far off! A Great Spotted Woodpecker formed part of the supporting cast and two Mistle Thrushes had a singing dual, with four of this large Thrush species flying over later.

Friday morning saw me making a feeding visit to my feeding station but it was quiet. The feeders were nearly empty so there are birds around but during my visit all I logged were two Long-tailed Tits and seven Goldfinches.

This morning I headed inland to the hills to have a look at two of Huw's ringing sites that are sometimes operated as feeding stations. As a relatively recently qualified C ringer Huw just wanted some advice on net ride location at these sites and it was great to see that he was already putting nets up exactly where I would have placed them. We didn't see very much other than Kestrel and soaring Buzzard as these sites are woodland plantation and scrubby farmland type habitats and won't hold many birds until spring. Roll on spring!

No comments: