Tuesday 23 February 2016

First Vis Of The Spring!

I might be a little bold in declaring 22nd February as spring, but there was a definite spring-like feel to the morning. With clear skies and calm conditions there was only one thing to do and that was some ringing at my feeding station.

After a few hours I had only ringed 7 birds as follows (recaptures in brackets):

Coal Tit - 1
Great Tit - 1 (1)
Chaffinch - 2
Goldfinch - 1 (1)
Goldcrest - 1 (1)
Song Thrush - 1
Long-tailed Tit - (1)
Blue Tit - (1)

 Coal Tit

Ringing-wise it was a morning of quality, not quantity perhaps!

As I hinted at in the blog title I recorded my first vis of spring this morning. My feeding station lies half way between the coast and the estuary on the Fleetwood peninsula and therefore is in a good position in terms of vis. I had two Skylarks and a Siskin over. Not rocking exactly, but it's a start. I also had a second Siskin 'drop out' and in to the Alders to feed on the catkins.

Best of the rest were two Song Thrushes, three Coal Tits, two Stock Doves and a Buzzard.

The forecast is looking okay again tomorrow so I might try and sneak out birding for an hour or two somewhere!

No comments: