Saturday 18 December 2010

The White Stuff

I thought it was too good to be true that we had escaped for so long without snow and last night we received about 10 cm. This meant that I had to go to my feeding station on Rawcliffe Moss and clear the snow and put some seed out. I had the assistance of 'her indoors' and in addition to putting more seed out we cleared the snow off the seed I had put out yesterday.

 The view from the barn

Equipment needed for a winter feeding station; seed and 'her indoors' to 
clear the snow!

The feeding station prior to clearing

After clearing

A number of Pink-feet flew over this morning

Winter wonderland

I didn't do a count at the feeding station but there was well over 200 Tree Sparrows. I then had to 'slip and slide' my way to the office at Myerscough College and top up my office window feeding station. The feeders at the office were constantly busy with Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Robin, Nuthatch and Great Spotted Woodpecker. It is difficult to estimate the number of individual birds but I would guess that it was more in the hundreds than the tens!

The forecast looks okay for some ringing tomorrow, but with the countryside covered in snow I don't want to 'work' the feeding station and disturb the birds as there is nowhere else for them to feed other than at the feeding station. So I'll probably head to the coast and the 'obs' in the morning and have a look there.

2 comments:

Warren Baker said...

ive thuought about putting food out on my patch too, but a trial run saw all of it get eaten by corvids :-)

good move to give the wife the shovel :-)

The Hairy Birder said...

I must admit that an awful lot of the food that I put out does get eaten by corvids. And 'her indoors' did a great job with the shovel!:-)