Thursday 29 September 2011

The Butterfly Bush

What, a title that doesn't refer to birds on 'Fleetwood Birder'? I must admit that birds are my passion or obsession as Gail continually reminds me, but I do enjoy all types of flora and fauna. The butterfly bush of course refers to the Ivy I mentioned yesterday, but more of that in a moment.

First of all it's back to the 'obs' at first light this morning. As of recent days I was greeted with 6 oktas hazy cloud and a 15 mph southeasterly wind. Horizontal visibility was pretty poor with a lot of murk out to sea. Still very few grounded birds to report although I did think there were more Wrens, Dunnocks and Blackbirds around this morning; 7, 12 and 9 respectively. The Dunnock count includes three birds flying high and heading south calling.

Vis was less this morning with no Pinkies at all and my count included: 81 Meadow Pipits, Yellow Wagtail, 2 Chaffinch, 61 Linnets, 5 Carrion Crows, 4 Reed Buntings, 4 Starlings, 6 Alba Wags, Tree Sparrow, Rock Pipit, Grey Wagtail and 38 Jackdaws.

I then called at the Mount and headed for the 'butterfly bush'. Even though it was only mid-morning there were 49 Red Admirals, 2 Small Tortoiseshells, 8 Commas and 1 Speckled Wood. There was also two male Migrant Hawkers hunting around the tree tops.  The only migrant bird I had was a calling Goldcrest.

The butterfly bush

Comma


Above and below - Red Admiral using me to 'sun' on


On my way home I called into the cemetery and other than a Chiffchaff and a Siskin going over it was very quiet. It looks like the weather is going to be similar tomorrow, but hopefully we'll get some ringing in on Saturday and Sunday.

No comments: