Saturday 24 September 2011

Ticking Robins.........

.........and not much else greeted me when I did the rounds at the 'obs' this morning. Usually 'ticking' Robins are a good sign that some birds might be grounded, but not this morning. I actually got to the obs too early and as it was only just coming light, too dark to bird, I walked down to the feeding station and put some seed out.

On my walk round I had 4 'ticking' Robins and not a lot else grounded other than two Wheatears. One of the Wheatears was feeding behind the shelter of the old swimming baths and seemed to be catching plenty of invertebrates.

 Wheatear

Due to the stiff murky SSW wind vis was virtually non-existent other than Grey Wagtail, 2 Meadow Pipits and 2 Alba Wagtails south. I had a quick look on the sea and it was very murky, and consequently all I had were 3 Auk sp. and 2 Common Scoters.
 

I then moved onto the Mount and things seemed a little more promising as I could hear Goldcrest calling as soon as I stepped out of my car. But it was only teasing me because I didn't have anything else of note. I called in at the cemetery but again it was quiet and all I could do was add 4 Swallows to the vis totals for the morning. On the way home I called at the Nature Park and 11 Tufted Ducks, 3 Pochards and 15 Coots were on the pools.

It's too early to call yet as to what the weather is going to be doing tomorrow. I'll definitely be out birding, but it still might be a touch too breezy for ringing at the obs.

No comments: