Monday 26 September 2011

No Mipit Wave Here

Some of the 'vis migers' in the Pennines have been reporting large numbers of Mipits moving this morning, but down here on the coast there was very little movement. I was at the 'obs' for first light and I had virtually clear skies with a 15 mph WSW wind that eventually swung round to become WNW when the tide ran in.

On my round of the obs there was very little vis at all other than 4 Alba Wags, 13 Linnet, 15 Meadow Pipits, Grey Wag, 2 Greenfinch and Chaffinch. There seemed to be similar numbers of Robins around with 7 'ticking' birds, but less Blackbirds and Wrens. The only grounded migrant as such was a single Wheatear.

My quick look on the sea produced 4 Red-breasted Mergansers, 31 Common Scoters, 3 Eiders and a few Auk sp.s.

I then had a look in the Mount and other than 5 Robins and a single Goldcrest I had no migrants at all. I had a few butterflies in the form of 5 Red Admirals, 2 Commas and 2 Speckled Woods sunning themselves in sheltered sunny spots.
Comma

Red Admiral


It was then on to the Cemetery where my run of no migrants continued and all I entered in my notebook was a single Grey Wagtail over. I then had a walk down the old railway line and encountered a singing Chiffchaff, but very little else.

 The old railway line

At the Nature Park the pools held 21 Tufted Ducks, 4 Little Grebes, 22 Coots, 11 Mallards and 5 Pochard. I had a calling Chiffie from the willow scrub and the incoming tide pushed 11 Skylarks off the saltmarsh.

 Tide running in on the marsh

It looks like I might get out ringing tomorrow, but I'll need to check the forecast again later. It certainly looks good for some settled weather later in the week to facilitate the operation of mist nets. I'll keep you posted as ever.

I photographed this little fella in my garden in the rain last night

2 comments:

Nikola D.A. said...

When I was 12-13 years old , there were many butterflies in my village. :P

The Hairy Birder said...

Sadly, they have declined.