Sunday 11 September 2011

A Day Too Early

The remnants of Hurricane Katia will cross the region tomorrow and the seawatching could be interesting. It was supposed to be an office day for me tomorrow, so I might just have to move my office to the coast!

The wind never really materialised this morning. I was at Rossall for first light and it was SW 3-4 and within an hour it dropped slightly and went southerly. In fact when it dropped and turned southerly there was a flurry of vis with a few Mipits, Swallows and Grey Wags whizzing through.

When I arrived at Rossall the tide was quite a long way out and 650 Oystercatchers fed on the shore. It was fairly quiet on the sea and all I had were 10 Common Scoters, 8 Cormorants, 5 Sandwich Terns, 4 Eiders, 5 Shelducks and a Gannet.

In the Elders behind the Coastguard's Tower was a Dunnock and a Chiffchaff. As it was quiet on the sea and because of the Chiffie I packed up early and called in the cemetery on my way home. I had 3 Chiffies and not a lot else.

 Chiffchaff

I'll be keeping my on the forecast all day to see if that Atlantic weather comes in.

No comments: