Friday 2 September 2011

Ortolan Gold

I was just about to have breakfast when my mobile started ringing and flashing on the screen was Ian's name. "Where are you mate?" was Ian's question and when I replied I was at home about to eat my breakfast, Ian hit me with "I've got an Ortolan Bunt on the golf course". F*ckin' hell, or words to that effect were my reply and ten minutes later I was walking along the track between the sea wall and the golf course.

The bird wasn't showing, but as I headed towards Ian it flew up onto the sea wall. I had a good look at it and took a few poor record shots. The bird then flew south below the sea wall and over the track before once again appearing on the wall. I took a couple more dodgy shots and the bird again dropped down. It was at this point that we lost it. By now one or two birders had turned up and we spent another half hour looking but to no avail.

Poor record shot of 1st wint. Ortolan Bunting

It was obvious that there were a few migrants around this morning as we pushed a Goldcrest from the base of the sea wall and there were a few Wheatears on the golf course. It's back to work and reality for me now, but I just wanted to thank my good mate Ian for yet another excellent find in Fleetwood. Well done mate!

5 comments:

Stringer said...

Blindin !

Zac Hinchcliffe said...

Superb Seamus! Considering the breif views (and at that time on a day like today, I can imagine bad light) you should be pleased with a record shot like that.

Without birders like you and Ian, I can imagine less than half the birds in Lancs would get seen!

Zac

The Hairy Birder said...

Thanks Zac, but all the credit goes to Ian. Cheers, Seumus

BirderRon said...

Trust us to visit the day before - Damn! Good sighting for you though - well done to your mate methinks.

Heather Naomi McGinty said...

I don't know what all the fuss is about, I've had an Ortolan or two singing in my back garden all Spring/Summer... A Cracking find though, nice record! C