Wednesday 28 September 2011

A Mixed Bag

It was the obs again for me this morning, but no rinigng as the 15 mph southeasterly wind precluded the operation of mist nets. It was hazy with some murk out at sea. The first birds I had were two flighty Song Thrushes in the half light that left the copse as soon as they saw me. Ticking Robins announced their presence by ticking and 6 was the total for the morning. And that would be it for grounded migrants.

There was some vis and most notable were the arrival of 680 Pink-footed Geese to the east and a Yellow Wagtail heading south. Other movers included: 3 Grey Wagtails, 2 Chaffinch, 4 Reed Buntings, 51 Linnets, 26 Alba Wags, 11 Skylark, Tree Sparrow, Snipe, Siskin, Lesser Redpoll, 5 Collared Dove ('in-off' & then headed south), 2 Carrion Crows, 26 Swallows, female Sparrowhawk and 167 Meadow Pipits.

 I came across this large mushroom as I walked towards the sea wall

As I mentioned before it was murky out at sea and consequently all I had were 12 Eiders, Guillemot and Red-throated Diver.

I then headed to the Mount where all I had grounded-wise was a single Goldcrest, and 15 Goldfinch and a Grey Wagtail went through. The main interest were the butterflies and bees feeding on a flowering ivy. The bees numbered into the several hundred and there were approximately 15 Red Admirals, 5 Small Tortoiseshells, 3 Peacocks and 5 Commas all nectering on the plant. Close by were two Small Coppers. I was talking to a lady who was photographing the butterflies and she said that in the afternoon yesterday she estimated that there were more than a hundred butterflies on this large ivy plant.

On my way home I called in the cemetery but didn't see any migrants at all! It's going to remain southeasterly for a few days yet and it looks good for some ringing over weekend.

2 comments:

Heather Naomi McGinty said...

Wow, I hope you put the Yellow Wag out, I'm thinking of twitching it!Need my Fylde Year tick.

The Hairy Birder said...

And I had one today. I'll be a wanted man for suppression!