Tuesday 16 September 2008

Wheatears and Wet Weather before Work......, 16th September

......and not a lot else! My cry of "not much" or "b*gger all" seems to becoming the norm. I need some good birds.

This morning I went to Rossall School before work. Rossall School is another coastal site in the Fleetwood area and is the only bit of farmland on the coast left in this area.

The farmland belonging to Rossall School

As soon as I got out of the car I had 2 Goldcrests calling from the plantation and very little else until I picked up 2 Wheatears towards the sea wall. Visible migration was virtually zero due to the overcast and drizzly conditions. 100 Swallows and 3 House Martins called noisily overhead as though they had just exited a roost.

I had a quick look on the sea and only had a single Sandwich Tern and my first Eider of the autumn.

I had a bit of time before I needed to get over to West Yorkshire to talk about Twites with a couple of farmers so I dropped into Fleetwood Cemetery. It was still raining and the only grounded migrants were 3 Goldcrests. Oh well there's always tomorrow.

No comments: