Saturday 11 April 2009

A Few More Migrants...But Only A Few

At 6.20 a.m. I was unlocking the gate to Fleetwood Marsh Nature Park with my boot full of spring traps, meal worms, buckets of optimism and the hope of trapping a few Wheatears. As I got out of my car the omens seemed good as I picked up a 'reeling' Grasshopper Warbler, but when I scanned to see if there were any Wheatears in the usual 'Wheatear spots' I drew a blank. So yet again my traps didn't see the light of day and I hoisted my 'scope onto my shoulders and went birding.

There was some vis as I had a steady stream of Mipits heading north along with 14 Linnets, 3 White Wagtails and a single Swallow. On the pools were 14 Greylags (obvious escapees from a local duck brothel), 25 Coot, 3 Great Crested Grebes, 3 pairs of Tufted Duck, a pair of Ruddy Ducks and 5 each of Little Grebe and Moorhen.

I had a few more migrants in the form of 4 Willow Warblers and an early Reed Warbler belting out its song from one of the reed-fringed pools.
The Wyre Estuary

I then headed to the coast to Rossall School with the knowledge that Ian had an Osprey northeast over Rossall Point earlier. Knot were on the move and I had groups of birds mainly moving south, but some moving east, totalling 1,030. As at the Nature park there was a steady stream of Mipits north along with 11 Linnets, 3 Swallows, 2 Siskin and a Lesser Redpoll.

The only grounded migrant I had was a single male Wheatear, but certainly not worth the walk back to my car for some traps. A quick glance on the sea revealed 3 Gannets and a couple of Sandwich Terns.

I then moved on to Fleetwood Cemetery, but all I had here were 2 Sparrowhawks; one local bird (by its behaviour) and one moving north. I had a single Willow Warbler and that was it.

Back at home mid-morning I emptied my moth trap and I had caught 2 Early Grey, a Silver Y, Hebrew Character, Lead-coloured Drab and a possible Brindled Pug. I say possible because I find the Pugs incredibly difficult to identify. I have sent a picture of the aforementioned Pug to a mate of mine who is a demon moth identifier. Below is a picture of the Early Grey and Hebrew Character.

Early Grey

Hebrew Character

There's always tomorrow!

1 comment:

Ghost of Stringer said...

Where did you get your spring traps and how much ? Drop me an e-mail please....

Reckon I could have got blackred and wheatear this week if I'd had got some spring traps !!