Monday 4 May 2009

More Of The Same.....20th April 2009

...but I'm not complaining!

It was back to Rossall Point this morning and still I am in winter plumage; four layers plus hat and gloves. It was clear this morning with a light south-southeasterly wind. As usual Lesser Redpolls were first on the move and 18 went north hotly pursued by 23 Linnets, 3 Alba Wags, 9 Tree Pipits, 4 Goldfinch, 13 Swallows, 110 Meadow Pipits, 3 Sand Martins, Rook, 2 Siskin, 4 Jackdaws and a Pied Wagtail.

On the sea I had 10 Shelducks, 39 Eiders, 19 Sandwich Terns, 13 Common Scoters and 10 Little Gulls. Other than that it was very quiet and after 2 hours it wasn't worth staying any longer. Back at home I emptied my moth trap and all I had caught were 4 Early Grey and 2 Hebrew Characters.

I got a phone call from my mate Ian later in the day to say he had found a male Ring Ouzel at Rossall Point. Some desperate year listers apparently tried to twitch it...sad!

Keeping up the raptor theme from yesterday below is a photograph of a juvenile Peregrine that had recently fledged from a nest on a farm I know well. The bird could only half-fly and this gave Andrew the opportunity to photograph it.

No comments: