Thursday 29 April 2010

A Strange Kind Of Morning

Based on last night's forecast I thought I would treat myself to a lie in and get up at 6.45 a.m. when 'her indoors' gets up for work. For five days running I have been up at 4.45 a.m. and I was starting to feel a little tired!

I decided to go to Rossall Point and watch the incoming tide. Looking out across Morecambe Bay the conditions were murky...sort of. I could see all the way across to Walney, but there was patchy murk here and there. Consequently movement at sea was very slow and light.

As the tide turned and started to run in I had 36 Eiders and 9 Red-breasted Mergansers on the sea. The only seabird passage of note was 17 Gannets and only two Sandwich Terns. I had 105 Dunlin go west and the tide lifted 612 Oystercatchers.

The vis was next to nothing and all I had were 4 Swallows east.

I didn't expect any or many grounded migrants this morning, but I thought I would just have a quick look in Mount Park. To my surprise I had Willow Warbler, Garden Warbler and Lesser Whitethroat. This spurred me on and I thought I should check Fleetwood Cemetery. Three warbler species in here to, but three different ones in Chiffchaff, Grasshopper Warbler and Whitethroat.

I had some meal worms with me so I thought I would see if there were any Wheatears at Fleetwood Marsh Nature Park and try and catch a few if there were. As it was late morning it was canine pandemonium, and there were dogs of every conceivable size, colour and shape, doing what dogs do best with brainless owners...scaring birds. There were 5 Wheatears but they were all in the aero-modellers area where it is dog free!

A couple of Swifts hawked for insects over the pools and four species of warbler were singing here; Grasshopper, Whitethroat and two each of Sedge and Reed. On the pools it was quiet other than 2 Little Grebes, Great Crested Grebe and 3 male Tufted Ducks. I decided enough was enough and headed home.

To brighten the page up is a photo of a male Holly Blue that I took in my garden yesterday afternoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.