Sunday 22 August 2010

Bird Migration

It seems appropriate because of the time of year to mention Ian Netwon's cracking new book 'Bird Migration'. I have just started reading it and I cannot recommend it highly enough if you have any interest in migration at all. 'Bird Migration' followed Ian's 2008 more academic version 'The Migration Ecology of Birds' which was aimed primasrily at professionals and research students.



Whilst on the subject of books about bird migration I can also highly recommend 'The Migration Atlas' which summarises all the information gained on migration through ringing. So if you haven't got any of these books get out there and get them bought!



I have nothing birdwise to report as yet today. I got up at 5.30 a.m. and I could see that the weather hadn't changed since yesterday, so I decided to treat myself to a lie in. I spoke to Ian later in the day who had been at Rossall Point first thing and he said that it was very quiet and I hadn't missed anything. That made me feel better but 10/10 for Ian for going out and 0/10 for me being a lazy blob and staying in bed!

The wind is swinging round easterly overnight so I will probably have a look on the coast tomorrow morning before work. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: