Tuesday 28 September 2010

Green Linnets

Before I go into detail about this morning's ringing session at Rossall have a look at the details of the fall at Spurn Bird Observatory yesterday. Amazing!

As usual I was at the 'obs' this morning with Ian putting nets up at 6.30 a.m. In fact I must thank Ian because he turned out to help me put the nets up even though he wasn't going to be able to do any ringng; thanks mate! As it happened he did turn out for about an hour later in the morning to ring some Green Linnets, or should I say Greenfinches.

It was a very quiet start to the morning and I thought it was going to be all over by 8.30 a.m. It started off with 5 oktas cloud, but this increased to 8 oktas very quickly. The wind was southeasterly, about 10 mph, but this picked up to nearer 15 mph by mid-morning. By the end of the morning I was just operating one 40 foot net with Greenfinch song on my MP3 player because it was too windy for the other three nets.

I trapped 39 new birds and 1 recapture as follows:

Pied Wagtail - 1/0 (new for 'obs')
Dunnock - 1/0
Robin - 1/1
Reed Bunting - 1/0
Great Tit - 2/0
Greenfinch - 27/0
Blackbird - 5/0
Wren - 1/0

 Wren

 Dunnock

 Great Tit

 Pied Wagtail

 Reed Bunting

 Robin

As of recent days the vis was fairly quiet. There just seemed to be a handful of Meadow Pipits, Alba wags, Grey Wags, Meadow Pipits and Goldfinch moving through. There must have been reasonable numbers of Greenfinch for me to be able to ring 27.

There weren't quite as many 'Pink-feet' this morning and all I had were 75 heading northeast. There were no noticeable numbers of grounded birds, unless the Blackbirds were migrants, but it was difficult to tell.

It looks like a lie in for me tomorrow as it is going to be raining heavily, in fact it started raining soon after it went dark this evening. If the rain hadn't been coming in until later in the night I would have ventured out in the rain tomorrow in case it had dropped any birds.

No comments: