Monday 9 May 2011

Inland Birding...Sort Of

Not 'sort of' inland, but 'sort of' birding! I was doing a bit of work on a lowland common that I am producing a management plan for this morning and as always whatever I am doing out in the field I always bird. I suppose it's what birders do.

 The Common

The main habitat of the common is that of fen with some willow carr and patches of gorse scrub. As you can imagine it supports a good population of Sedge Warblers and Whitethroats and this morning I had 10 and 7 singing males respectfully. The Sedge and Whitethroat chorus was ably supported by 2 singing Willow Warblers, 2 Chiffchaffs and a Blackcap. Surprisingly I only heard one Reed Bunting singing.

 Chiffchaff

Other than that it was very quiet, but at least I got out!

 Amongst the Crosswort

No comments: