Wednesday 16 November 2011

And There's More

I made a quick call at my feeding station and it was pleasing to report that Tree Sparrow numbers had increased to 157 and in association with this the number of Chaffinches had increased to 49. Eleven Blackbirds were down the track to the feeding station and eleven Long-tailed Tits were in the hawthorn hedge. I was there early and it is possible that the 'Long-taileds' had been feeding on the peanut feeders.

 Long-tailed Tit

I only had time for a short walk along the '97 hedge' and all I could add were a single Fieldfare and 7 Reed Buntings. Walking back I had 2 Whooper Swans head north and it was then time to leave.

2 comments:

Nikola D.A. said...

Do you have large population of Three Sparrows ? Here in Bulgaria they are quite rare...Last year I've ringed only one :(

The Hairy Birder said...

In the UK Tree Sparrows are 'red listed' and their population has seen over a 90% decline in the last 40 years. However, you can still find good local populations and my feeding station holds the largest wintering population in Lancashire. I also put nest boxes up for them which they take to readily. They do respond very well to conservation measures and where they still hold on it is relatively easy to increase their numbers. I didn't realise that they were quir=te rare in Bulgaria.