Sunday 18 March 2012

A Quiet But Interesting Morning

We slipped up this morning by not carrying out any ringing at the'obs'. The forecast last night was for a fairly stiff NNE wind but just after 6.00 a.m. at first light it was fairly calm. Nevertheless I still covered the obs but without mist nets.

One of the first birds I saw or heard was a Goldcrest and by the end of my coverage of the site I had recorded 5 at various locations. The only other grounded birds I had were two male Wheatears just behind the sea wall.

 Wheatear

The NNE wind, although light, did slow down the 'vis' this morning, but it wasn't too bad all things considered. I recorded 49 Alba Wags, 13 Linnets, 9 Goldfinch, Lesser Redpoll, 3 Siskin and 95 Meadow Pipits.

Out on the sea it was quiet with just 2 male Eiders, 31 Common Scoters, 3 Red-throated Divers and 4 Whooper Swans. I did have one interesting bird in the form of a Bonxie that arrived from the west high and then rapidly headed south. 

I then went on to the cemetery but all I could find were 3 Goldcrests and 3 Robins.

Later in the morning I was back on the coast having a walk with Gail. As we were walking behind the sea wall and heading towards the golf course I could see a white bird walking along the sea wall towards us. I lifted my bins up and it was a cracking male Snow Bunting! Typically I had left my camera at home so couldn't get any pics, which was a shame because it came to within 15-20 feet of us. Anyway, it was a nice way to end a quiet but interesting morning.

2 comments:

theconstantwalker said...

I always enjoy reading your posts.

The only bird I have had on my hand as an adult was a robin tempted by a palm full of seed... and I have the video clip of the moment.

As a child it was my job to release the sparrows caught up in the nets covering my dads strawberries.

You do a wonderful job ringing birds... it's nice to hear that sometimes you just enjoy seeing them.

The Hairy Birder said...

Thanks Andrew. Even though I handle lots of birds, it is always a privilege to do so, and a close encounter with a Robin as you describe is fantastic. I do enjoy watching birds and always consider myself as a birder who rings, rather than a ringer who birds, if you see what I mean. Cheers, Seumus