Friday 13 April 2012

Back Across the Black Sands

It's amazing how the weather can vary so much between two relatively close areas. I filled my car up at a petrol station close to home this morning and listened to Chiffchaff and Song Thrush singing in the rain from some scrubby woodland close by, then 45 minutes and 45 miles later near Bickerstaffe I was bathed in glorious sunshine! I was back across the black sands again this morning finishing off the survey I started on Wednesday.

 Song Thrush

Farmland birds were the order of the day with a smattering of summer migrants. On my walk round this mossland farm I had 10 Skylarks, 3 Reed Buntings, 2 Yellowhammers, 7 Lapwing and a single singing Corn Bunting. The smattering of migrants I mentioned were 2 Chiffchaffs, 2 Swallows and Willow Warbler. The only raptors I had were singles of Buzzard and Kestrel.

It looks too breezy for the 'obs' tomorrow so I will probably head up to the 'point' and have a look on the sea.

No comments: