Sunday 20 May 2012

The Good Lovelies

For details of the ringing session that Ian and I had this morning at the obs go to http://fleetwoodbirdobs.blogspot.co.uk/

Now, on to the Good Lovelies. Who are the Good Lovelies I hear you ask. They are an all female, I hate to say folk, so will say acoustic/roots band from Toronto, Canada. Gail and I went to see them last Thursday in Garstang and we thoroughly enjoyed them, so much so that we nearly went to Barnsley the following night to see them again!

What's strange is that they aren't really my cup of tea and I shouldn't really like them; no twin lead guitar attack, no heavy blues riffs, no mellow aching Gilmour-like guitar solos or keyboard driven songs lasting over twenty minutes! But what impressed me was their wit and on-stage banter, beautiful harmonising vocals, good straight forward song writing and their ability to play multi-instruments that they swapped around after each song.

I had a chat with them during the interval and after the gig, and probably bored them to death by telling them about all the Canadian bands I like such as Rush and Jeff Healey! Have a look at the clips below and see what you think, or I am just going soft and mellowing in my old age!


4 comments:

theconstantwalker said...

A wonderful post..

The Hairy Birder said...

Thanks Andrew.

Stringer said...

I'll forgive you listening to "folk" so long as they were fit !!

Careful tho, you'll be wearing a wooly jumper and smoking a pipe next....

The Hairy Birder said...

They were fit G, and I'll try and resisit the urge to wear a jumper and smoke a pipe!