Monday 20 August 2012

Ten out of ten for effort..........

..........is the marks I would give myself this morning for getting out before a day of report writing in the office, but from that you can conclude that I didn't see very much! The forecast last night suggested that there might be a few migrants around this morning, but the rain must have had a blocking effect instead!

I started out at the southwestern end of the obs working the coastal farmland and dunes and scored a big fat zero. I had got to the farthest point in the dunes when it started raining quite heavily and this prevented me looking on the sea, which was shrouded in mist anyway. About 30 each of House Martin and Swallow were feeding along the sea wall hawking low flying insects.

In the dunes a lot of the Sea Holly was flowering and several flowers had Bumble Bees, that had presumably roosted over night on them, waiting for the temperature to rise so they could continue feeding. Two Kestrels and a Sparrowhawk later and I decided to try my luck in the cemetery.

 Soggy Bumblebee on sea Holly

This is where I had my only grounded migrant of the morning in the form of a calling Willow Warbler. I did my usual circuit, but with nothing else present in the drizzle I moved on to the coastal park, but again I drew a blank here. The forecast is similar for tomorrow, so being the eternal optimist that I am I will try again!

2 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Gotta be optimistic! Thats all that keeps me going :-)

The Hairy Birder said...

I quite agree Warren! Cheers, Seumus